[sane-devel] How to enable 48 bit color depth?

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Jun 20 23:27:30 UTC 2011

Dale Mosby <dale at archcape.com> writes:

> I have an Epson Perfection V500 scanner. It works fine with xsane
> however only scanning at 8 bit color depth. The scanner is capable of 16
> bit color depth (48 bit total). I have installed the Avasys drivers as
> per all the net wisdom I found.

I checked the Avasys sources and there should be a --depth option in the
scanimage --help output for this scanner, capable of handling 1, 8 and 16
bits.  The option is disabled for Binary mode, but should be enabled in
Gray and Color modes.  Color mode is the default, so the option should
be enabled.  If not, please provide the output of scanimage --help.

AFAIK, xsane provides controls for all the options listed in that output
but advanced options are hidden by default.  The bit depth option is not
marked as advanced by the backend so that shouldn't be an issue.

That said, the 16 bit support of the Avasys drivers has not been tested
(as it is not used in our iscan frontend).  YMMV.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962