[sane-devel] 55-libsane.rules

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Mon Jun 20 23:48:06 UTC 2011

Simon Becherer <simon at becherer.de> writes:

> Hi there, you wrote:
> (inside /etc/udev/rules.d/55-libsane-rules)
>
> # If the scanner is supported by sane-backends, please mail the entry to
> # the sane-devel mailing list (sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org).
>
> here there is the line for my "epson gt 10000+ scanner (scsi)":
>
> # Epson GT-10000+
>
> KERNEL=="sg[0-9]*", ATTRS{type}=="3", ATTRS{vendor}=="EPSON",
> ATTRS{model}=="SCANNER GT-10000", MODE="0664", GROUP="lp",
> ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
>
> added the line in an suse 11.4 system, because the /dev/sg7 on which
> my scanner was was root/root
> with that line it is root/lp and i can use it as user.

Access permissions such as mode and group settings are distribution
policy specific things, not something that SANE forces upon anyone.
So this is really a SUSE issue.

IIRC, SUSE wants you to use YaST to configure your scanner.  That ought
to take care of whatever is necessary.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962