[sane-devel] scanimage?

Ed Greenberg edg at greenberg.org
Thu Mar 31 00:26:27 UTC 2011

I've been using Sane and XSane for several years now, with great
success. My Sane and XSane come from the Ubuntu repositories (Lucid Lynx).

I have an Epson GT8300 flatbed scanner, and all is good.

Today I happened upon an article leading me to realize that there were
some command line tools for Sane that I had never used.  When I did
'sane-find-scanner', it found this:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011e [EPSON
Scanner]) at libusb:001:017

When I do scanimage -L, I get this:

device `epson2:libusb:001:017' is a Epson GT-8300 flatbed scanner

All very nice, but when I do this:

scanimage --device epson2:libusb:001:017, I get a long long timeout and
then, eventually:

scanimage: sane_read: Error during device I/O

It also leaves the scanner in a bad state. I have to power cycle it
before XSane can find it again.

Not sure what else to offer for info.

Any suggestions welcome.