[sane-devel] Network backend and lineart mode

Aleksandr Dezhin me at dezhin.net
Sun Jul 29 06:22:28 UTC 2012

On 07/28/2012 12:46 PM, Stef wrote:
> On 27/07/2012 23:25, Aleksandr Dezhin wrote:
>> Dear developers,
>>
>> I am trying to develop another web-based interface for sane. Faced
>> with a problem, and do not know how to avoid it or solve it.
>>
>> I have Canon LiDE 210 scanner, it works fine with genesys backend.
>> Locally scanimage works in all modes: color, gray, lineart. However,
>> if I scan through the network using net backend, it stops work in
>> lineart mode.
>>
>> Scanimage freezes, until I kill the process. I attached stderr of
>> scanimage --mode Lineart with SANE_DEBUG_NET=9. Process freezes after
>> "[net] sane_read: reading packet length", "scanimage: received signal
>> 15" appears after killall scanimage.
>>
>> Unfortunately I can not check whose problem it is: genesys or net
>> backends. Test backend does not support lineart mode.
>>
>> Has anyone encountered a similar problem? How can I try solve it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>     Hello,
>
>     what would be handy to solve this issue, would be to run saned
> with SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS environment varaible set to 255, and get the
> debug messages. This way, I'll have the scan parameters given to the
> genesys backend in order to test this here.
>     You may try to play with 'emulated lineart' option.
>     And last, what is your SANE version ? It doesn't show up in the
> log file.
>
> Regards,
>     Stef
SANE version is 1.0.22, device connected to 32-bit OS Thinstation 5.1
(sane build from sources), client where I strart scanimage - 64-bit
Ubuntu 12.04. Results SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS I'll send - as soon as I get to
the device. By the way, is there a simple way to capture stderr, if
saned used together with xinetd? Today I tried the same (but both 64-bit
Ubuntu)  thing with a another scanner (HPLIP backend) - lineart mode works.