[sane-devel] Network backend and lineart mode

stef stef.dev at free.fr
Sun Jul 29 06:35:54 UTC 2012

Le 29/07/2012 08:22, Aleksandr Dezhin a écrit :
> On 07/28/2012 12:46 PM, Stef wrote:
>> On 27/07/2012 23:25, Aleksandr Dezhin wrote:
>>> Dear developers,
>>>
>>> I am trying to develop another web-based interface for sane. Faced
>>> with a problem, and do not know how to avoid it or solve it.
>>>
>>> I have Canon LiDE 210 scanner, it works fine with genesys backend.
>>> Locally scanimage works in all modes: color, gray, lineart. However,
>>> if I scan through the network using net backend, it stops work in
>>> lineart mode.
>>>
>>> Scanimage freezes, until I kill the process. I attached stderr of
>>> scanimage --mode Lineart with SANE_DEBUG_NET=9. Process freezes
>>> after "[net] sane_read: reading packet length", "scanimage: received
>>> signal 15" appears after killall scanimage.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I can not check whose problem it is: genesys or net
>>> backends. Test backend does not support lineart mode.
>>>
>>> Has anyone encountered a similar problem? How can I try solve it?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     what would be handy to solve this issue, would be to run saned
>> with SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS environment varaible set to 255, and get the
>> debug messages. This way, I'll have the scan parameters given to the
>> genesys backend in order to test this here.
>>     You may try to play with 'emulated lineart' option.
>>     And last, what is your SANE version ? It doesn't show up in the
>> log file.
>>
>> Regards,
>>     Stef
> SANE version is 1.0.22, device connected to 32-bit OS Thinstation 5.1
> (sane build from sources), client where I strart scanimage - 64-bit
> Ubuntu 12.04. Results SANE_DEBUG_GENESYS I'll send - as soon as I get
> to the device. By the way, is there a simple way to capture stderr, if
> saned used together with xinetd? Today I tried the same (but both
> 64-bit Ubuntu)  thing with a another scanner (HPLIP backend) - lineart
> mode works.

     Hello,

     I expect saned is exposing a bug in the genesys backend for the
settings you use, surely some issue with the amount of bytes to send. I
remember fixing such a bug for lide100/200 after 1.0.22 release, but
this may be another one. Test with emulated lineart disabled.
     Using a wrapper script (redirecting stderr to file) could be
enough, and telling xinetd to use it instead of the current program.

Regards,
     Stef