[sane-devel] Completing epson backend deprecation

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue Jun 12 23:40:40 UTC 2012

"m. allan noah" <kitno455 at gmail.com> writes:

> I seem to recall some cases in the past couple years where we had to
> redirect users to the older epson backend, due to bugs with epson2. Do
> we feel like these have been resolved?

There are 17 open tickets on alioth that are assigned to Alessandro, 5
of which are for coolscan backends.  That leaves 12 for the epson2
backend.  A number of these affect devices that are fairly recent and
cannot be expected to be supported by the epson backend.  The following
tickets are for devices that

  #312793 Perfection 1650
  #312913 Perfection 610
  #313035 Perfection V700

are supported by the epson backend.  The issue with the V700 appears to
be in the epson backend as well.

There are 14 open tickets assigned to Karl Heinz (the last epson backend
maintainer) with the most recent one opened on 2007-06-21.  I haven't
looked closely but I don't think there are any for devices not supported
by the epson2 backend.

I hope you don't mind that I didn't go through the 110 tickets that have
not been assigned to anyone ;-)

That said, all three devices listed above (should) work with the epkowa
backend (without any non-free plugins).

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962