[sane-devel] Problem with developing a new backend for Plustek OpticPro ST28

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Fri Oct 12 04:57:07 UTC 2012

On 11/10/2012 19:51, Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> I'm willing to cross-test what you'll be producing for the ST28, as I
> have one also, but have currently no time to put into development.
>
> On 10/11/2012 06:38 PM, Mohammad-Reza Nabipoor wrote:
>> And, according to my scanner board:
>> * It is a GL841-based scanner
>> * It uses ILX569K CCD. (same as of ST24
>> (according to the genesys_low.h)).
>> * It uses L6219 stepper motor driver.
>> * It uses Wolfson WM8196 Frontend.
>
> If I understand correctly what Stef tells us, this kind of
> information, surprisingly, is almost of no use when developing the new
> frontend, as mostly this consists of parsing the windows usb traces.
>
> Yury

     Hello,

     these hardware information can help us to find how close to another
scanner a specific model is. Since the ST24 is an unsupported GL646
scanner, it is not as helpful as it could have been. Even when hardware
is known, you'll have to know exactly how they are wired to adapt the
backend without to have to look at the windwos usb snoop logs.

     One common source of differences are the GPIO, which are enough to
prevent an unsupported scanner to work until they are correctly set.

     For all the steps you may have to take to add support, look at the
various exchanges in the mailing list on adding support for the plustek
Opticbook 3600 between me and Chris Berry . This scanner is the same
kind of target than yours.

Regards,
     Stef