[sane-devel] Support for Canoscan 4400F

Stef stef.dev at free.fr
Mon Sep 10 18:02:04 UTC 2012

On 10/09/2012 19:15, Derek Atkinson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've run Linux in parallel with Windows for some time now and I'm
> slowly migrating my stuff over to Linux, only rarely dipping into
> Windows when I need to run critical WIn32 software (something I'm
> needing to do less often these days).
>
> I'm trying to get my Canoscan 4400F working under Linux and I see some
> interest has been expressed in adding this model to the Genesys
> backend the past, but it seems to have stalled.
>
> I realise this isn't a trivial task and although I'm no programmer,
> I'd be glad to offer some help to get this model included as it's
> quite a good unit that also scans 35mm negs and I don't want to
> replace it if I don't have to!
>
> If it helps, I'm now running Mint 13 Maya with Sane 0.998 and the
> output of "sane-find-scanner -q" for the 4400F is: (vendor=0x04a9,
> product=0x2228, chip=GL845?) at libusb:002:004
>
> Is there a chance the 4400F may be included and, if so, is there
> anything else I can do to assist?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>

> Kind Regards
>
> Derek Atkinson
>

> --
> Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

     Hello,

     development on the genesys backend is a mix of reverse engineering
(through usb logs capture) and  use of the few known docs on genesys
chips. It close to impossible, or a least *REAL* slow to develop support
for a scanner without having one to snoop usb data and test code.
     If you have a windows set-up where you can record USB activity
(preferably with usbsnoop), please send me a log recording a color
preview. That way we well double check it is a genesys based scanner,
and I'd be able to evaluate the amount of work involved.

Regards,
     Stef