[sane-devel] HP N6350

Random Quip Generator pseubodot at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 04:59:01 UTC 2013

On 13-04-13 06:34 AM, Gerard Klaver wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 17:09 -0400, Random Quip Generator wrote:
>> This is a similar model to mine ('[#313955] HP Scanjet N8460 (with
>> ADF)'), and when I look up his model on the HP web site, I see pointers
>> to the N8460 scanner as well.
>>
>> I would definitely concur with Wouter's fecal characterization of the
>> available Windows scanner software. Even XP's own scanner program beats
>> the HP one, which I assure you is faint praise indeed.
>>
>> I took mine apart and found an Avision C7C chip (it's in the bug report,
>> with links to pics of the board).
>>
>> There were no results for either 'N6350' or 'N8460' on the
>> hplipopensource.com site search function.
>>
>> I tried running 'hp-check' per m. allan, and the program reports that
>> everything seems to be set up properly (on my Ubuntu 12.04.2 64 bit), but:
>>
>> * 'No scanners were identified', and
>> * Under 'USB I/O SETUP' it does find the device, but reports 'error:
>> Unsupported model: HP_Scanjet_N8400'
>>
>> I suspect that hplip will not work with Wouter's device either, but I'll
>> look forward to seeing what he finds.
>>
>> Best, -- p
>>

>> On 13-04-11 04:42 PM, m. allan noah wrote:
>>> Is this model supported by the sane driver from the hplip project?
>>>
>>> allan
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 3:53 PM, Wouter Verhelst <w at uter.be
>>> <mailto:w at uter.be>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hi folks,
>>>
>>>     As I blogged recently[1], I own an HP ScanJet N6350 that TTBOMK does not
>>>     work with SANE, and of which the Windows software is just crap.
>>>
>>>     I'd like to see if I can reverse engineer the protocol (USB and/or
>>>     network). This should at the very least be possible, as I'm already
>>>     running Windows inside a VM; so it should just be a matter of using
>>>     wireshark on the USB and/or network interface.
>>>
>>>     Now I do think I have a general idea of how to reverse engineer a
>>>     protocol, but I've never actually done anything of the sort before. Is
>>>     there something I should pay specific attention to when doing this sort
>>>     of thing?
>>>
>>>     Additionally, once I've figured out the protocol (or have gathered
>>>     enough data), is there somewhere I could send it? I don't think I have
>>>     the understanding of the SANE internals to do write the driver myself...
>>>
>>>     [1] http://grep.be/blog/en/computer/hardware/dear_hp
>>

> For the HP N8460,
>
> Did you check for the sane-avision backend, IIRC some scanners with an
> avision C7 chipset are supported with this backend.
>
> With regards,

Hi Gerard,

Thanks for this -- In my earlier attempt with the avision backend, I was
able to get both the scanner and the ADF to do *something* (make noise,
try to feed the document) but the scan would not complete and the
document would get stuck in the ADF.

I could try again using the most current version of Sane and not use the
ADF to see if I can scan. Will try early in the new week and post the
results.

Thanks and best, -- pete