[sane-devel] Testing Sane + Canon MG6250

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Tue Apr 23 14:03:23 UTC 2013

Hi Ashley,

Am 22.04.2013 15:04, schrieb Ashley Arnold:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not really sure how to do this, but the
> http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html page said "Testers needed",
> so here is what I did to get my Canon MG6250 scanner going.
>
> This is on xubuntu 12.10 64-bit with all current updates as at 13th
> Apr 2013. Here is my xsane version info:
>
> $ xsane --version
> xsane-0.998 (c) 1998-2010 Oliver Rauch
>   E-mail: Oliver.Rauch at xsane.org <mailto:Oliver.Rauch at xsane.org>
>   package xsane-0.996
>   compiled with GTK-2.24.12
>   with color management function
>   with GIMP support, compiled with GIMP-2.8.0
>   XSane output formats: jpeg, pdf(compr.), png, pnm, ps(compr.), tiff, txt
>
> After installing xsane, initially it wouldn't detect the MG6250 (which
> was on the network via wireless connection). It would look for devices
> and then the process would end.
>
> After reading the man docs and finding the "backend name" for my
> printer is "pixma", I did:
>
>   * man sane-pixma (seems to be a man entry for each backend) tells
>     you to that network scanners should normally be detected, but if
>     not, add them directly to /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf
>   * Edited /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf and added:
>     bjnp://<ip_address>
>   * The sane daemon wasn't running, so I started it manually (a friend
>     of mine running Arch said it was for him...):
>       o Edited /etc/default/saned and set RUN=yes.
>       o Then started the sane service: service saned start
>   * Run xsane, it discovered the scanner and worked perfectly.
>
> The only issue I had is for multi-page documents, it didn't wait
> between pages, but scanned the same page over and over. This might be
> user error and nothing to do with xsane though.

If you want to process multi-page documents you should use scanbd to do
button controlled scans (http://sourceforge.net/projects/scanbd/). You
can search the SANE devel archive and ask this mailing list about scanbd.

You need to use latest SANE from git to enable full button support for
your scanner. You can use my Ubuntu PPA to upgrade libsane
(http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2013-April/031177.html).

Cheers,
Rolf