[sane-devel] WIASANE - Windows scanner driver using sane-net

Marc Hörsken info at marc-hoersken.de
Sun Dec 1 17:08:47 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

nearly two weeks ago I published the initial alpha version of my WIASANE
frontend that uses sane-net to create a bridge between the WIA and SANE
worlds.

You can find the current source code and alpha download at GitHub:
https://github.com/mback2k/wiasane
The readme currently describes the project as the following:

WIASANE
=======
The WIASANE project provides a Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Driver
which enables image acquisition from scanner devices through the
Scanner Access Now Easy (SANE) network protocol.

This WIA driver implements a SANE frontend on top of the SANE network
protocol. It is referred to as Scanner Access Now Easy - WIA Driver.

In order to access those scanner devices either the scanner itself or
a SANE daemon needs to provide a SANE network frontend to be used.

Requirements
------------
This software is currently build and tested against Windows 7.
The required Windows API functions are available since Windows Vista,
which means that it could work on Windows Vista and newer versions.

Features
--------
- Create a Windows scanner device by connecting to a SANE device
- Support for color, grayscale and lineart/threshold scan modes
- Support for preview and final scan types
- Support for contrast and brightness settings
- Support for single-sided scanning from a flatbed
- Integrated wizard during driver/device installation

To be implemented
-----------------
- Support for username- und password-based authentication (in progress)
- Support for automatic document feeder and duplex mode (in progress)
- Integrated property page for device modification (in progress)

To be improved
- Make WIA driver use asynchronous network connections
- Make wizard and property pages use asynchronous network connections
- Handling of rounding issues while converting between units of length

I would really like to hear your feedback and I welcome contributions of any kind.

Best regards,
Marc