[sane-devel] Sane problem with Brother MFC J6710DW scanner.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Dec 11 10:05:55 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Dec 10 07:59 upscope wrote (excerpt):
> rpl7:~> scanimage -L
> device `brother4:bus3;dev6' is a Brother MFC-J6710DW USB scanner
> linux-rpl7:~> lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 006: ID 04f9:0263 Brother Industries, Ltd

As far as I see there is neither a brother4 driver (backend) in SANE
nor does SANE know about your USB scanner model.

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=&bus=usb&v=04f9&p=0263
results "No matches found." and
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Brother&model=&bus=usb&v=&p=
does not list a "Brother MFC-J6710DW" and even
http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-external.html
does not list a "brother4" driver (backend).

Therefore it seems you use a currently unknown third-party driver.

Regarding "Third-Party Scanner Drivers" have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Configuring_Scanners

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner