[sane-devel] imageCLASS MF4570dw tester available for two days

Yuval Levy ylevy at uwo.ca
Tue Dec 24 20:28:32 UTC 2013

To whom it may concern:

I am helping my father-in-law moving to Linux.  He has an imageCLASS
MF4570dw all-in-one.  sane-backends from Ubuntu's repository do not
support it, but I found it listed for the git version, so I built the
git version of sane-backend.

The machine has both USB and Ethernet.

sane-find-scanner reports found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc],
product=0x275a [MF4570dw]) at libusb:001:004

however scanimage -L did not find it.  I read all README, FAQs, and
manpages that I could find, to no avail.

I also tried to connect via Ethernet.  After adding the entry
bjnp://192.168.1.2:8612 to /etc/sane.d/picma.conf it returns the
following output:

[pixma] udp_command: no data received (recv): Connection refused[pixma]
udp_command: no data received (recv): Connection refused[pixma]
udp_command: no data received (recv): Connection refused[pixma] Cannot
read scanner make & model: v

I did set PIXMA_EXPERIMENT=1 but it did not make any difference.

This is a time-limited opportunity.  I am here for the next two days
(Christmas), have access to the device, have a little bit of time on my
hand to run the tests you need me to run, and I am good enough with the
tools to submit a source code diff for review.

Any kind soul around willing to guide me through the process of testing?
 I would like to leave my in-laws with a working scanner and in the
process contribute to your project.

Happy Holidays!

--
Yuval Levy, MBA, CFA