[sane-devel] support for Canoscan LIDE 80 expected?

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 10 00:59:24 UTC 2013

Dear Lorenz,

welcome to the sane-devel list!

Am Samstag, den 09.02.2013, 20:43 +0100 schrieb Lorenz Wiedemann:

> is there any chance of adding Canoscan LIDE 80 to the SANE backends,

There is always a chance! ;-) Please try to save subscribers time and
provide URLs to the scanners description page! In this case it is [1].
And there is even a dedicated Web page for that device. Searching
through the supported scanners list [2], you find that page [3].

> so it can be used with Ubuntu ?

Well it depends on the Ubuntu release and if Canonical or the package
maintainers backport support for new devices.

As you use Ubuntu please report a bug to their Launchpad bug tracker [4]
so that they become aware of the missing device support.

Also you should contact Canon and asked them for Linux support.

> This isn't a new scanner... but it would be very helpful to use it as
> it's giving high quality images (under Win XP....).

What about more current Microsoft Windows versions? What driver version
and program do you use under Microsoft Windows XP?

> lsusb says it has the ID 04a9:2214, GL842 in it (not 841).

Please compare the information on the SANE Web page for Canon LiDE 80
[3] with the device you have. Just to be sure.

> scanimage -L and sane-find-scanner do not recognize it.

As the Web page says, the device is unsupported. I do not know if
somebody is working on the SANE Genesys currently as I just looked into
SANE too.

Besides the actions above, you can read the Contribute Web page [5] for
further information on what to do.

> Installing Canon software under Wine / Ubuntu works, but there is no
> scanner/device present to be chosen.

You could also try running Microsoft Windows in some virtualization
software like KVM, XEN, ….

Thanks and sorry for not giving you better news,

Paul

[1] http://www.canon.de/Support/Consumer_Products/products/scanners/LiDE_series/CanoScan_LiDE_80.aspx
[2] http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html
[3] http://www.sane-project.org/unsupported/canon-lide-80.html