[sane-devel] scanbd problem with dbus permission ?

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Tue Feb 26 17:22:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-02-26 at 11:23 +0100, stout wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found some solution for my problem :
> First, I noticed than the file scanbd_dbus.conf wasn't in the system.d
> folder, so I added it.
>
> The error changed : no more dbus connection error but endless
> "Iteration on dbus call" in the log...
>
> It seems that if I start scanbd right after inetd, this error shows.
> Bur if I start inetd, then do a "scanimage -L" or another use of the
> scanner via sane, then start scanbd, it works like a charm !
>
> So I modify the udev rule so that when the scanner is turned on, it
> launches inetd, then imagescan -L, then scanbd :
>
> # Epson Perfection V500 Photo
> ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="04b8", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="0130", ACTION=="add",
> RUN+="/usr/sbin/service inetutils-inetd start",
> RUN+="/usr/bin/scanimage -L", RUN+="/usr/sbin/service scanbd start"
> ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="04b8", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="0130", ACTION=="remove",
> RUN+="/usr/sbin/service scanbd stop", RUN+="/usr/sbin/service
> inetutils-inetd stop"

this should not be required, but you need to set the SANE_CONFIG_DIR
env. variable before starting scanbd (see below)
> I don't know if it is a configuration problem or a bug...
>
> Best regard
>
> stout

A few notes:
scanbd_dbus shall be copied into /etc/dbus-1/system.d, that is what you
referred to I guess?
What do you use to start scanbd? Systemd? Scanbd apparently does not see
the scanner. What is set for SANE_CONFIG_DIR? Do you have a dll.conf in
that dir with the appropriate backend for your scanner listed? Does it
have the config file for the backend (if needed) in that dir?

kind regards, Louis