[sane-devel] Canon DR-3010C - Intention to Test

Hakan Bayındır hakan.bayindir at pardus.org.tr
Tue Jul 9 07:34:30 UTC 2013

Hi Allan and all,

Thanks for the information. I've scanned ~100 pages with the scanner
using XSane and scanimage with various settings, I'm sharing my findings
below. I'll try to keep the scanner as much as I can to aid its
development and testing, so I'd be glad if you can guide me.

- Default page size of the printer is set to letter. For A4 it's wide
and short. A default page size with letter width and A4 length would be
better IMHO.
- XSane is making cropping errors with media smaller than A4. I've
scanned a set of A5 pages. Before, I got a preview from Xsane and set
the margins. Right side of the pages are cropped and mirrored to left
side. Mirrored part was approximately 1cm. Gap between mirrored part and
actual left margin was also  ~1cm. As aforementioned, scan all surface
results in letter scans instead of A4 (even if I select A4 viewport and
click maximize scanning area), making shorter and wider scans than expected.
- Length based double feed detection works in XSane. Thickness based
didn't work, but I'm not sure if XSane enables it or not.
- I had to give both X & Y and page-width/length in Scanimage to get an
accurate scan. I don't know it's expected, but the resulting images were
literally perfect.
- Batch mode of the scanimage works as expected. XSane doesn't do blind
batch if I understood correctly.
- Color, gray, lineart scanning works as expected. 600DPI color scans
are razor-sharp. Greys are well defined and very sharp. Line art is very
good as well.
- Scanner seems to can work at its top speed incl. duplex (tested in
200DPI Gray scans, pnm output).
- I didn't tried to work with the buttons on the scanner.
- I'm not an expert on sheetfed scanners, but requiring to put document
title-down (rotated 180 degrees) felt awkward a bit. If it's expected,
it's OK. If not, driver needs some page flipping code.
- I was not brave enough to test staple detection, sorry.

These are all of my findings for now, I can run additional testing if
you want. Last but not least, I'm a developer so I can try new things if
you need.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Hakan