[sane-devel] Improving user experience with sane/xsane.

Steve Cohen stevecoh1 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 3 17:59:24 UTC 2013

A user who has difficulties getting a scanner to work with xsane may
wind up running the program sane-find-scanner to get some information.

There, they may be greeted by this:

   # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

In my case scanimage -L told me nothing and as to the "backend's
manpage" I had no clue where to look.  Rather RTFM-ish, I think.

And so unnecessary:

You guys also maintain two very helpful web pages,
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html#SCANNERS
and
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

which ultimately led me to the answer, but I wasted much time trying
this and that before I found them.

Why don't you simply refer to one of these webpages in the message that
sane-find-scanner presents?

In my case (the Epson Perfection V-300 Photo scanner) it turned out be
an issue of installing some drivers.  I could have solved this in five
minutes, had a link to your excellent web pages been present in the
output of sane-find-scanner.

Thank you,
Steve Cohen