[sane-devel] A3 flatbed scanners

David N Melik dchmelik at hipplanet.com
Sun Sep 8 03:59:24 UTC 2013

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 20:12:23 -0700
Dale Amon <amon at vnl.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 08:41:58PM -0400, m. allan noah wrote:
> > You did not say how much you are willing to spend, but cheap A3
> > machines with real SANE support (not some binary garbage) are not
> > very common. I would be inclined to look for used Fujitsu. Mike
> > Wirth was offering an fi-4750 just a couple weeks ago.  Even
> > better, there are a number of used fi-5750C units on ebay.
>
> The answer is 'under $600', and the further the better.
>
> The eBay items you mention seem to fall inside that range and the
> scanner does look nice. Only down side is that I was hoping for 12x17
> to cover the size of some common (for me) items.

In the mid - late 2000s, I got a SCSI-2 Umax PowerLook 2100XL, which
scans A3, for $400, and family members got one maybe even cheaper after
me. It worked on my PC at the time, but not my new one, and just do not
count on getting help for that here--I made my first post here about
a 2100XL, a week ago, and received no reply.

If you get one, you will need a SCSI-2 card, which may only be
available as used PCI hardware, so make sure your computer has an
available plain PCI (not PCIe) slot. There are also SCSI-to-USB
connectors, but when USB 2 was out, those were called slow, and now,
with USB3, my local computer shop said they do not have those (though
maybe they could special order).