[sane-devel] Neat NM-1000

Kentrell Johnson kentrell.johnson at yandex.com
Sat Jan 11 03:23:50 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have a Neat NM-1000 scanner that I would like to try to get working
with SANE.  Someone previously tried to get it working, but ultimately
could not determine which chipset it uses:

  http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2011-June/028637.html

The chipset is still not detected with the latest SANE backends
(1.0.24).  'sane-find-scanner -v -v' reports:

  <Couldn't determine the type of the USB chip (result from
sane-backends 1.0.24)>

The e-mail linked above suggested using usbsnoop on Windows to capture a
log, from which it might be possible to determine the chipset.  I
installed usbsnoop from http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/, but
it does not seem to be functional in Windows 7.  Is there another USB
sniffer that might capture the relevant information?

Would it be possible to determine the chipset from taking it apart and
examining the internals?  There seem to be no accessible screws on the
device, so I am not sure I can open it without breaking it (but am
willing to do that as a last resort).

Is reverse engineering the Windows or Mac drivers a possibility for
determining the chipset?  Maybe running them through 'strings' would be
revealing?

Thanks,
Kentrell