[sane-devel] xsane could not recognise pixma:MX710_PRT-MX715

Paul de Wit pdwonline at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 18:35:33 UTC 2014

I am using a canon Pixma MX715 with Linux Mint 17.

Downloaded and installed the official canon
cnijfilter-mx710series-3.70-1-deb and scangearamp-mx710series-1.90-1-deb.

Got the printer working (also wireless) and scanner is recognised in
Simple Scan 3.12.1 when using USB.
However, I like to use the scanner wirelessly and use some fine options
of xSane.

When I start xSane 0.998, it will report an error "could not find
'pixma:MX710_PRT-MX715': function not supported.When I turn the MX715
off and restart xSane, it will quickly report no scanner found.

My question is: "why?"  since the MX715 seems a MX710 scanner with MX715
printer combined. Also the official drivers are generic for all MX710
series, including the MX715. To me it seems that in one or another xsane
config or register, the model name is not added or incorrect. Can I help
somehow getting this model added, is there a machine ID that I can
supply for that?

Best regards,
Paul