[sane-devel] Canoscan LIDE 35 not working: "open of device failed - invalid argument"

Marc Stürmer mail at marc-stuermer.de
Thu Oct 2 18:36:04 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I am trying to get my CanoSCAN LIDE 35 under Gentoo Linux up and
running, so far with no success.

The scanner itself is working and not broken.

Kernel is 3.14.19, sane-backends is version 1.0.24.

lsusb works.

scanimage -L works, too:

device `genesys:libusb:001:008' is a Canon LiDE 35/40/50 flatbed scanner

scanimage though does not work then, it always gives this error:

scanimage: open of device genesys:libusb:001:008 failed: Invalid argument

Disconnects the device then, it seems, and 8 becomes 9, 9 becomes 10
and so on and on.

Groups are setup correctly and the same error persists for running it as root.

The output of "strace -o out -f scanimage" as root can be found here:
http://pastebin.com/BFNb8Dxz

At the moment I've got no more idea what else to do; /etc/sane.d seems
to be sane, udev-rules are also what they should be like in my opinion.

And the thing is: with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a stick the same scanner
does work with sane nicely, but Ubuntu is not my normal Linux
distribution.

So my question is: what I am maybe missing to finally get it started?

Thanks in advance,
Marc