[sane-devel] Scanner failure when connected via USB3

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 09:48:29 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
> wrote:

> Mike Cloaked writes:
>
> > Secondly i set up wireshark this afternoon, and got it all running to
> > capture usb data on the bus that the scanner is connected to.  Having
> > completed a capture for a vuescan run scanning the same docuument as
> > previously. I then reset the scanner, and wireshark, and ran a scan in
> > xsane - but instead of hanging it worked!  The only change since the
> > previous time I booted the same laptop is that I ran a system update -
> but
> > there was no obvious package that was updated that would have contributed
> > to the changed behaviour!
>
> Not obvious to you perhaps but maybe someone else?  Would you happen to
> have the full list of packages (as well as their old and new versions)?
> Maybe someone will spot something.
>
> BTW, did you boot with the same kernel?
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2           FLOSS Engineer -- AVASYS CORPORATION
> FSF Associate Member #1962               Help support software freedom
>                  http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962

Yes I do have the full list of packages that were updated in the pacman log
- I am away from that laptop at the moment, but later today I will post the
full list of updated packages from the pacman log. Yes it was booted with
the same kernel though the kernel was updated from 3.16 to 3.17 only a few
days ago and is now running with the new kernel.

The other thing I had wondered/thought about was that it might be a partial
hardware failure. However the same usb3 port on the laptop where the
scanner was plugged in was used to plug in an external usb hard drive and
that works without any problems.  Also the scanner was plugged in to a
different laptop with only usb2 ports and it was fine with xsane on that
laptop. So that suggests that the hardware is not the problem either at the
laptop port or for the scanner.

I also separately have a multifunction printer/scanner (Samsung SCX4500W)
that was working fine as both printer and scanner when connected via usb2
to a previous desktop that only had usb2 ports, but that machine is now
replaced with a new desktop that only has usb3 ports - the MFP works
without any error connected to a usb3 port for the printer functions but
the scanner hangs xsane whilst connected to the same physical port.
However the scanner when connected via its ethernet wired network
connection works fine from xsane using tcp.  So the scanner function seems
to work provided it is not connected to a usb3 port. That desktop also runs
arch linux.  A few months ago I tested this MFP plugging into the laptop
with usb3 ports and xsane hung when scanning was attempted on the laptop
via usb3 as well.

The combined set of information from these tests seems to indicate that
there is an issue with usb2 printers connected to a machine via usb3 when
using sane, though of course I only have archlinux so I don't know if the
same scanners would work properly when connected via usb3 to a machine
running a different version of linux where the package sets are versioned
differently? If anyone has either of the two scanners that I have, and are
running Ubuntu, Fedora,Mint or another version of linux in a machine with
usb3 ports it would be a very useful comparison?

This evening I should have a bit more time to try the Canon LIDE 210 again
on the laptop that I have been having usb3 problems for scanning, and will
try to capture usb data for a partial scan and fail situation, and I will
post the package update list in the same post.

--
mike c