[sane-devel] Need help with Canon scanner

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Sun Aug 23 17:15:52 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 11:31:30PM +0200, Rolf Bensch wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> This time with one 'l'.
          <G>  Vielen Dank!

> 'scanimage -h' shows all options of your scanner, if you scanner has
> been switched to "Remote Scanner" mode before. Some options come from
> the backend and are not described in the doc of scanimage. Please read
> the manpage of the Pixma backend: 'man sane-pixma' and note that button
> scan isn't supported for your scanner.
         I checked that already.  That is fine with me.  It is easy
	 for me to half-rise from my chair, press the Scan button
	 on the Canon . . . and then issue my scanimage command

	 The sane-pixma man page speaks of the 'device pixma'; but
	 I have tried  ls /dev/pixma" and am told that a device
	 with such a name doesn't exist.  There is confusion here?
	 or is 'pixma . ." hidden in some subdirectory?

> Alternatively to scanimage I'm using xsane as gui frontend.
  	 I would love to try xsane, simple-scan, etc!  But I
	 think I have to install some front-ends(?) or utils,
	 and I am fearful of breaking what now seems to work
	 quite well.  Suggestions?

> Hope this helps.
         It does indeed!  This morning I was able to scan
	 the very colorful Japenese advertisement I wrote of
	 yesterdeay, but today in Gray scale.

My new desires: what /dev/ is this Canon scanner? and how to
use other front-ends?  are just that: desires.  They are not
needs.  Again, I am most grateful!!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    Our daily news feed is filled with so much absurdity that ridicule is