[sane-devel] Kyocera ECOSYS M6526cdn usable with SANE?

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:59:48 UTC 2015

You should at least get logs of the scanner in use making a low
resolution scan using the USB cable, preferably with this tool:
http://www.pcausa.com/Utilities/UsbSnoop/ or with wireshark if you
don't have an old windows install. There is a small chance that
someone will recognize the protocol used, if Kyocera is actually
re-badging a scanner built by someone else.

allan

On Sat, Feb 14, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Marco Patzer <mail at homerow.info> wrote:
> On 2015–02–11 m. allan noah wrote:
>
>> There is very little Kyocera support in SANE, so i doubt this would be
>> a simple job. We would need logs of the scanner in action using the
>> windows driver directly over USB (if it has that), and also over the
>> network. Then someone would have to spend hours looking at the logs to
>> generate a simple test program. Then after multiple rounds of testing,
>> that could be inflated into a full-sized SANE backend. This is a great
>> deal of work, and very difficult if the developer does not have access
>> to the hardware.
>
> So as far as I understand, nobody made the effort of writing a
> driver (yet). Unfortunately I can't donate a device and don't have
> the skills to do it myself. If it's just about providing a few logs,
> I'm happy to help out. But it seems more complicated and time
> consuming than that.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the response.
>
> Marco
>
> --