[sane-devel] How can I test CanoScan LiDE 120 with genesys backend?

Ginsberg, Hy hginsberg at worcester.edu
Mon Jan 5 23:17:35 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I have a CanoScan LiDE 120, which is not supported by SANE.  The previous
model, the LiDE 110, is supported by the genesys backend.  I thought that
before I tried to return my scanner it would be nice to see if perhaps it
is similar enough to the 110 to work, at least partially, with the existing
driver.

I am running CrucnhBang Linux, which is a Debian variant.
*sane-find-scanner *yields:

  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
  # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
  # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

  # No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that
  # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x190e, chip=GL848+?) at
libusb:001:005
found USB scanner (vendor=0x0cf3, product=0x9271) at libusb:001:004
  # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be
supported by

  # Not checking for parallel port scanners.

  # Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
  # can't be detected by this program.

  # You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
  # found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
  # necessary.

The 0x04a9 device is the scanner (I think the 0x0cf3 device is my HP
printer).  So I edited the* /etc/sane.d/genesis.conf* file, adding the
lines:

# Canon LiDE 120
usb 0x04a9 0x190e

and rebooted.  Then* scanimage -L *yields:

This is what I find strange.  Shouldn't SANE at least think that the
scanner is supported by genesys due to my edit of the genesys.conf file?
Is there something else I have to do to "trick" SANE into trying to use
genesys to control the scanner?

Other information: The scanner works; I am able to use it from a Windows
machine.  And I had no trouble with a (borrowed) CanoScan LiDE 110, so my
system is set up properly to use SANE.

Thanks very much for any suggestions you can offer.