[sane-devel] terrible (systematically corrupted) jpg at 1200dpi

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Fri Jan 30 09:43:54 UTC 2015

The apps I've been using to examine the scans I've made so far are
ImageMagick's "display" and "gimp" Both of these-- which I've used
countless times over many years-- always worked fine in the past. But
for some reason, the images scanned at 1200 dpi looked horrible when
displayed by either of them (reduced visually to 3 or 4% of the original).

So I looked at the attachment uploaded to the hplip site, and a couple
other of the images I scanned, using Firefox and-- happy surprise-- they
looked fine: There was no distortion, no bands of discoloration, and the
images were clear and focused... completely unlike what either "display"
or "gimp" rendered for me.

I don't recall ever having any problems using "gimp" or "display" to
look at jpg images before, even files well over 100M. With my previous
Linux PC and scanner I did 4800x4800 scans-- I could see individual
fibers in the paper-- and didn't have any problems then. So it looks
like I need to investigate what's going on with "display" and "gimp".
But that's of no concern to this list. So we can count this issue Closed.