[sane-devel] Accessing HP Scanjet 4070 Photosmart Scanner - Update to reduce size to below 100 Kbytes

Bill Strohm wstrohm at socal.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 17:17:49 UTC 2015

Present Configuration

Hardware:
A DIY “Hackintosh” Mini ITX Computer;
Gigabyte GA-H87N-WIFI motherboard, Intel Core i7 4770K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250 GB, in Thermaltake SD101 case.
HP Scanjet 4070 Photosmart Scanner

Software:
Mac OS X 10.10.3 “Yosemite” with boot software by tonymacx86.com <http://tonymacx86.com/>

What Works:
Scanner works perfectly with alternate computer Macintosh PowerPC G5 using HP “Image Zone” software.

What Does Not Work:
1. Scanner used with latest "HP Scan" App installed on the “Hackintosh.” Following error message appears:

2. Attempt to use SANE software to access scanner from the “Hackintosh.”

Have downloaded all relevant software from the following websites:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/hp3900-series/ <http://sourceforge.net/projects/hp3900-series/> ; http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/ <http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/> (binaries only)
The SANE Preference Pane is installed and working. The configuration file for the hp3900 scanner is checked, as shown:

I did click the “Configure” button, but there was no apparent change, i.e. the button did not light. (If the “Saned” button is clicked, the resulting field is empty. Double-clicking the hp3900 item shows a list which includes the HP 4070 scanner, so I assume it is the correct selection.)

In the "hp3900-series_0.12” folder downloaded from the first website linked above, there is a file called “INSTALL.sh” and another called “COMPILE.sh” which look like Terminal scripts.
I tried double-clicking each one in turn. The result was that the Mac OS “Terminal” app opened and showed these error messages:

Apparently the Terminal app is not happy with the “test: -eq:” program statement. I know nothing about C programming. Can you help with this?

Please know that I had one success with all the above: If I run the Terminal command “scan image > test.pnm” from this website <http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/faq.html>, I do in fact get a correct scan operation and a “.pnm” image on my hard disk. However, I have no idea how to proceed since the linked page goes on to treat a failure, and no words at all about what to do if it succeeds!

I attempted to use Graphic Converter (version 9.7) File/Scan mode, which offer the options of “Scan with Image Capture,” “Scan with TWAIN…”, and “Select TWAIN Scanner Data Source…” but none of these work; device is not shown in any of the three windows, as well as in Preview and Apple’s Image Capture.

This in spite of the fact that the 4070 Scanner shows up in my Mac OS X “About this Mac/System Report” list, as shown below:

Bottom Line: I have no idea where to go from here! Please help if you can.

Thanks for reading!

——    Bill Strohm