[sane-devel] How to enable scanning on a Canon all-in-one printer?

Alan McConnell alan at his.com
Tue Mar 17 13:17:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 08:15:08AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Alan McConnell writes:
>
> > Assembled Wisdom!
> >
> > I am sure that this question has a simple answer.  My situation:
> > I bought a Canon imageCLASS MF4770n all-in-one
> > printer(scanner/copier/fax) on Friday.  It took me a while to get
> > my CUPS and lpadmin commands so that it would print, but thanks
> > to the documentation provided by Canon to Linux users, it now
> > prints just fine.  I would like it to scan also, and I'm having
> > trouble.  I think my "sane back end" is not configured properly.
> >
> > I have run  sane-find-scanner  and my result is:
> >   found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc], product=0x2774
> >   [MF4700 Series]) at libusb:001:004
> > However, scanimage -L  reports: "No scanners were identified. . . ."
> > So something is awry.
> >
> > As confirmation, I have checked  http://www.sane-project.org/  for
> > Supported devices and my all-in-one given above is indeed on that
> > list.
> >
> > I have simple-scan installed, but when run it can't find the scanner.
> >
> > I am running Debian Wheezy.
>
> Which is two sane-backend releases behind.  Changes are you just need a
> newer version of the libsane package.  IIRC, the version from Jessie
> installs without any problems on Wheezy.
  	   First of all: thank you for your response.

	   Second: there are no backports for either libsane or
	   sane-backends.

	   Third:  it is difficult for me to believe that there is
	   no way for a variant of a very well-known firm, Canon,
	   to have its particular modus operandi identified.
	   I would hope that the information given by sane-find-scanner:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon Inc], product=0x2774
[MF4700 Series]) at libusb:001:004

	   would be sufficient to add the support for this particular
	   Canon all-in-one to my present libsane.

I should add: running scanimage --version yiels:
       scanimage (sane-backends) 1.0.22; backend version 1.0.22

   	  I reiterate my call for help!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   A great war leaves a country with three armies: an army of cripples,