[sane-devel] No scanners detected on LTSP fat client when net.conf uses hostname

John Hupp sane at prpcompany.com
Wed May 6 19:14:37 UTC 2015

I'm running Linux Terminal Server (LTSP), serving up the Lubuntu 14.04.2
i386 desktop to fat clients.

I have an HP Scanjet 5200C scanner connected to the LTSP server and want
the fat clients to be able to scan with that.

On the fat clients, the served image is actually running on the client
hardware, making those systems similar in many ways to a group of
standalone machines on the LAN.  So to get this running I have been
following the simple tutorial at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial

The last step is configuring /etc/sane.d/net.conf for sane clients,
identifying saned hosts either by hostname or IP address.  I find that
using the hostname works on another actual standalone machine on the
LAN, but it fails with the fat clients.  So far I can only make fat
client scanning work by entering an IP address.

But the server gets its IP address by DHCP, a feature I want to preserve
so that I don't have to get into the router configuration when I set one
of these up.  Needless to say, I really want to get this running stably
for the fat clients using the hostname.

----------------------------

Troubleshooting: Trying to dig into this question, I find that the fat
client can successfully ping the server hostname, so it's not a name
resolution issue.

One interesting fact: Even on the server (where scanning always works),
sane-find-scanner (even if run as root) reports "could not open USB
device <id info>: Access denied (insufficient permissions)."  And on the
fat client, sane-find-scanner reports the same even when net.conf
identifies the saned host by IP address and Simple Scan successfully scans.

Is sane-find-scanner broken?

Some exercises with 'scanimage -L" (which I understand should be run as
root):

On the server 'sudo scanimage -L' reports:
device hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5200C flatbed scanner
device net:192.168.1.8:hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet
5200C flatbed scanner

If get to a root prompt on the fat client, then run 'scanimage -L' when
net.conf is using an IP address, it reports:
device net:192.168.1.8:hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet
5200C flatbed scanner

Those devices presumably refer to /dev/bus/usb/004/002, which exists on
the server.

If I run 'scanimage -L' on the fat client when net.conf is using a
hostname, it reports no devices found.

While of some interest, I don't see that any of the above tells me much.

Any ideas?