[sane-devel] Epson Perfection V800 error

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf.meeuwissen at avasys.jp
Tue May 12 00:21:37 UTC 2015

Ron Falkowski writes:

> We are using 1.0.24.

Good.

> Right now the problem seems to be that scanimage errors on any command that
> calls the V800 scanner by its device name, but it can interact with it
> otherwise. For example, right now we have two scanners plugged in, a V800
> and a V700. "scanimage -L" returns:
>
> "device 'epson2:libusb:001:008' is a Epson GT-X980 flatbed scanner
>  device 'epson2:libusb:001:009' is a Epson GT-X900 flatbed scanner'
>
> "scanimage -h" will return the default help information as well as
> device-specific information for the V800, since it is the first scanner on
> the device list. "scanimage -h -d epson2:libusb:001:009" will return
> device-specific information for the V700. However, "scanimage -h -d
> epson2:libusb:001:008" will return the error "scanimage: open of device
> epson2:libusb 001:008 failed: Invalid argument".

I can reproduce this with two different scanners (don't have the GT-X980
and GT-X900 handy here) using the latest from git (b2aefab).  With the
scanners that I use I also have to add the first one to the epson2.conf
file in order to get it recognized.

I turned on the debugging output for the epson2 backend and got

  $ SANE_DEBUG_EPSON2=127 scanimage -d epson2:libusb:001:006 > /dev/null
  [...]
  [epson2] sane_epson2_open: name = libusb:001:006
  [epson2] e2_dev_init
  [epson2] open_scanner: libusb:001:006
  [epson2] scanner opened
  [epson2] the device at libusb:001:006 is not a supported (product id=0x8bf)
  [epson2] close_scanner: fd = 1
  lt-scanimage: open of device epson2:libusb:001:006 failed: Invalid argument
  [epson2] sane_epson2_exit
  [epson2] free_devices

This is a bug in the epson2 backend.  When you explicitly specify the
device, it skips the probe for connected devices step which is the only
place that looks at the configuration file.

The easiest work-around for you would be to build from source after you
add the product ID to backend/epson_usb.c.  Make sure to remove it from
your epson2.conf as well.

Hope this helps,
                 http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=1962