[sane-devel] mustek_usb2 backend updated, testers needed.

Jan Hauffa jhauffa at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 16:54:54 UTC 2015

Hi Allan,

Am 09.11.15 um 04:13 schrieb m. allan noah:
> I've just committed the updated mustek_usb2 backend from
> https://github.com/jhauffa/sane-sq113 to sane-backends git repo. It
> will show up in the 20151110 (and later) snapshots here:
> http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/
>
> Hopefully there are some users of this backend on the list who can
> build from source and check it out. I don't have the hardware to do
> so.

as the author of this patch set, I would very much like to see it become
part of SANE eventually, but please be aware that it is in a rather
broken state right now.

When I started working on the mustek_usb2 driver, my goal was to add
support for the Medion MD90093, which, like the Mustek BearPaw 2448TA
Pro, is built around the SQ113 chip. I did not have access to the Mustek
scanner initially, but I figured that some light refactoring would be
OK. Unfortunately I went a bit overboard, and ended up introducing bugs.
When I got my hands on a Mustek scanner in 2012, I did some systematic
testing and fixed some of them, but had to put the project on hold due
to other responsibilities.

There is at least one major bug left in the calibration code. That bug
causes discolored vertical stripes to show up when scanning in any
resolution. Right now, I rarely have time to write code outside of work,
so I cannot give you a proper estimate as to when I'll be able to fix
the remaining bugs. Unless there is someone who wants to step in and fix
them in my stead, I strongly recommend that you do not merge the patch
set at this time, at least not into the main development branch of SANE.

I apologize that the github page did not give a clear indication of the
driver's current state. I will update the page ASAP.

Best regards,
  Jan