[sane-devel] Disabling epson backend build

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 12:59:08 UTC 2015

I looked at the epson code- it appears that it will accept 'usb 0xVID
0xPID' instead of just 'usb' in its config file. I propose that we
change the default epson config file to list the Perfection 610's usb
id, and any other ids that we know epson2 wont support. Then we need
to blacklist those ids in epson2 somehow. Then we re-enable the epson
backend in dll.conf.

allan

On Sat, Sep 12, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Olaf Meeuwissen
<paddy-hack at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Hi Alessandro,
>
> AFAICS, the epson2 backend claims to support all devices that are
> supported by the epson backend.  To avoid confusing users, the latter
> backend has been disabled in the dll.conf file since 2009-03-05.  That
> corresponds to version 1.0.20.
>
> I don't know what the various distribution do to the dll.conf file that
> their packages install, but since the epson backend has been disabled by
> default for five releases I was thinking to disable the backend's build
> by default as well.
>
> I checked the bug tracker but could not find any bugs assigned to the
> (retired) epson backend maintainer after the backend was disabled in
> dll.conf.  I did find one bug[1] assigned to you for the epson2 backend
> for the Perfectinon 610 (which is admittedly rather ancient but the
> epson2.desc file claims complete support for it!).
>
>  [1] https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312913&group_id=30186&atid=410366
>
> and think that Allan's comment from 2011-01-08 is to the point.
>
> Based on some of the commits for epson2.desc, I can't help but get the
> impression that you claim epson2 backend support for scanners without
> much evidence.  That notwithstanding, how do you feel about disabling
> the build of the epson backend by default?
>
> Any mismatches between the epson2.desc file and the backend's support
> status will of course be yours to fix ;-)
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
> Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
> https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join
>

> --

of my hand"