[sane-devel] Fixing sequencing issues (was Re: Proposed Upgrade (pu) branches on GitLab)

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Sep 28 09:59:55 UTC 2015

Johannes Meixner writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sep 25 21:02 Olaf Meeuwissen wrote (excerpt):
>> In the
>> mean time, I think we should any code that is flagged as -Wunsequenced
>> (by clang) or -Wsequence-point (by gcc).
>
> I assume the meaning is clear but there is an omission.
> What exactly should be done with such code?

Oops, I forgot a verb there.  I meant to say that "we should *fix* any
code [...]", where fixing is different from just making the warning go
away.

With the sequencing issues, we can only speculate at what the intended
behaviour is, so we can't really fix things.  That notwithstanding, I
think we can make a decent, educated guess at a fix for both cases and
make the warning go away :-|

I'll have a stab at preparing patches for both.

Hope this helps,
Support Free Software               Support the Free Software Foundation
https://my.fsf.org/donate                        https://my.fsf.org/join