[sane-devel] PIXMA: New Protocol Timeouts

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Thu Feb 18 07:54:17 UTC 2016

Hello List,

My recent commits to Sane's git repository contain some fixes which
affect USB and BJNP protocol timeouts.

This affects *ALL* Canon PIXMA, imageCLASS, i-SENSYS and *SOME* CanoScan
scanning devices (please search your scanner here:
http://sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-cvs.html#S-PIXMA).

Background:

Many users have reported and my experience was the same while debugging
a new scanner, that the 8 sec receive timeout needed approx. 160 sec to
lapse. This blocked the interface and was very annoying.

I found out that the protocol timeouts were set to eternal 20 sec. So I
reduced the timeouts down to 1 sec (human immediately), for both
PIXMA_BULKIN_TIMEOUT and PIXMA_BULKOUT_TIMEOUT. Now the 8 sec receive
timeout loop is working again, also with available sanei_usb_set_timeout().

Please report any problems caused by this fixes.

Cheers,
Rolf