[sane-devel] xsane root only

tom thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com
Sun May 8 17:15:41 UTC 2016

xsane 0.998 does not work for me with out root permissions. I found many
accounts of this on many scanners and many Distros. I have gone thru a
laundry list of changing ownership, permissions, etc. The problem is
reported with both USB and parallel scanners. Seems to me that maybe
xsane is using something in the kernel that it should not be using. Once
I sudo xsane, it works perfectly. Problem is that besides being a
security issue, the scanned objects belong to root, so can't open them
unless I give gimp, etc root permissions. I could change ownership of
the immages, but that is not a very elegant solution. I can boot an old
CentOS 6.0 live DVD session and xsane works with out running it as root.
Same problems using simple scan.

Epson Expression 636 scanner connected via SCSI. Adaptec SCSI card,
32bit clone. Mint 17 MATE 32 bit.