[sane-devel] xsane root only

m. allan noah kitno455 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 17:58:27 UTC 2016

You need to set the permissions of the device file when it is created
by the OS. Different distros handle this in different ways, so I
cannot give you any Mint specific instructions. Generally, you will
look for udev or hal rules or hwdb files, and modify them.  My distro
sets up permissions for this scanner in
/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/65-sane-backends.rules

allan

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 1:15 PM, tom <thomas.w.cranston at gmail.com> wrote:
> xsane 0.998 does not work for me with out root permissions. I found many
> accounts of this on many scanners and many Distros. I have gone thru a
> laundry list of changing ownership, permissions, etc. The problem is
> reported with both USB and parallel scanners. Seems to me that maybe xsane
> is using something in the kernel that it should not be using. Once I sudo
> xsane, it works perfectly. Problem is that besides being a security issue,
> the scanned objects belong to root, so can't open them unless I give gimp,
> etc root permissions. I could change ownership of the immages, but that is
> not a very elegant solution. I can boot an old CentOS 6.0 live DVD session
> and xsane works with out running it as root. Same problems using simple
> scan.
>
> Epson Expression 636 scanner connected via SCSI. Adaptec SCSI card, 32bit
> clone. Mint 17 MATE 32 bit.
>

> --

of my hand"