[sane-devel] Is support for cat5 interfaces of Brother products possible?

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sun May 22 19:07:00 UTC 2016

Greetings all;

This scanner in an MFC-9620DW works well with the brother drivers if one
is not in a hurry.

I investigated the delays and found the networking portion of the Brother
Drivers are sending the first 6 packets, at 1 second intervals,  with
bad TCP checksum according to tcpdump.  The scanner of course rightfully
ignores them. Then their driver seems to get it all in the same sock for
the rest of the scan.  I have not traced a multisheet scan as yet, but
this 7 seconds delay is present regardless of whether the sheet is on
the glass, or in the in hopper of the ASF.

This has been reported to Brother twice now, but no one has responded
with a fix.

I would assume this doesn't occur with the usb interface, but to use it,
I'd need a usb cable about 3 meters long as that socket is also at the
end of a long molded in ditch in the housing accessable by lifting the
whole scanner on hinges, but the ditch is a  good 30" of cable to
negotiate, so its only possible if I add yet another hub, locating it
close enough, or find an un-hubbed usb cable long enough to reach.

Is this driver possibly a WIP?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)