[sane-devel] Ubuntu 16.04.1 and Canoscan Lide 220

Richard Ryniker ryniker at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 16 13:06:02 UTC 2016

Your udev rules file has no entry for your scanner.  Recall that
sane-find-scanner reported:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9 [Canon], product=0x190f [CanoScan])

There should be a udev rule for that device (i.e. one that matches the
vendor and product codes reported by sane-find-scanner).  For example:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ACTION=="add", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="190f", MODE="0666"

In order to use the scanner, a program needs both read and write
access.  The udev rule phrase:

MODE="0666"

gives this access to all users.  This is appropriate for a single-user
system, and perhaps for one shared by a cooperating group of users.

I hope this helps.  All you may expect from this is to make the device
useable without root or some other elevated privilege.  Whether the SANE
programs will yield good results is another question, one I cannot
answer because I have no Canon scanner.  This post:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/sane-devel/2015-March/033178.html

suggests the current sane-backends (1.0.25) will support this scanner,
and the device is listed as supported in:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html