[sane-devel] Supported Epson Perfection 1260 produces 2 background stripe colours

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Wed Aug 30 11:10:34 UTC 2017

Hi Julian,

Julian H. Stacey writes:

> Hi sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
>
> I have a USB scanner Epson Perfection 1260 (not a printer combo)
> half working, using FreeBSD current (3 week old src/ & current
> ports/packages) fresh installed sane back end, front end & xsane.
>
> Example scans here from xsane & scanimage & xscanimage:
> 	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/tmp/epson_perfection_1260/
> all with 2 background colours: yellow on left half of page, red on right.

I get a permission denied on the xsane.pnm but the other two PNM files
clearly show your problem.

> http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Epson&model=Perfection+1260&bus=usb&v=04b8&p=011d
> shows a choice of 2/3 drivers:J epson2 & sane-plustek [& epkowa?]

Using this scanner with the epkowa backends requires a non-free plugin
that may or, more likely, may not work on FreeBSD.  IIRC, the plugin is
built assuming GNU/Linux and links dynamically against glibc libraries.

The epson2 backend lists it as unsupported.

So, that leaves you with the plustek backend as your most likely
supporting backend.

# I've Cc:d it's maintainer just in case.

> I wasn't sure how to specify driver,
> Couldn't select driver from interactive xsane, nor from
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d/saned.conf (net inter host stuff), so I tried:
>
> xscanimage plustek:/dev/ugen1.5 # fails to open
> xscanimage plustek:/dev/usb/1.5.0 # fails to open
> setenv SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE "plustek:/dev/ugen1.5" ; xsane	# striped
> setenv SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE "epson2:/dev/ugen1.5" ; xsane	# striped
> setenv SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE "epkowa:/dev/ugen1.5" ; xsane	# striped
>
> I've done mv ~/.[a-zA-Z]* X/ ; cd X
> mv .[xX]* ~/	# for xauth
> # so its nothing in old inherited .sane/ or similar dor file
>
> Have I missed something ? Or is my scanner defective ?
>
> PS various notes from my
> http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src/jhs/etc/devd/berklix.conf
>   sane-find-scanner -q
>     [...]
>     found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011d \
>                         [EPSON Scanner], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:001:005
>   scanimage -L
>     device `plustek:libusb:001:005' is a Epson Perfection 1260/Photo \
> 	 flatbed scanner
>   I Added to /usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf:
>     usb 0x04b8 0x011d
>     device libusb:001:005

IIUC, you should not have to modify the plustek.conf file at all.  Using
something like you do above (note that it should be `[usb]`) will likely
stop working as soon as you re-plug or power-cycle the device.  On Linux
I'm sure it does, don't know for FreeBSD.

Maybe the log file from

  SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=127 scanimage [your-options-here] > out.pnm 2> log

can shed some light on your problem?  Please use [your-options-here] to
set a small scan area so we don't get inundated with a multi-MB log file
here on the list ;-)

Hope this helps,