[sane-devel] Supported Epson Perfection 1260 produces 2 background stripe colours

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Aug 30 21:10:49 UTC 2017

Hi Olaf & sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org,
> Hi Julian,
> Julian H. Stacey writes:
> > Hi sane-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org
> >
> > I have a USB scanner Epson Perfection 1260 (not a printer combo)
> > half working, using FreeBSD current (3 week old src/ & current
> > ports/packages) fresh installed sane back end, front end & xsane.
> >
> > Example scans here from xsane & scanimage & xscanimage:
> > 	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/tmp/epson_perfection_1260/
> > all with 2 background colours: yellow on left half of page, red on right.
>
> I get a permission denied on the xsane.pnm

Sorry, fixed.

> but the other two PNM files
> clearly show your problem.
>
> > http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=Epson&model=Perfection+1260&bus=usb&v=04b8&p=011d
> > shows a choice of 2/3 drivers:J epson2 & sane-plustek [& epkowa?]
>
> Using this scanner with the epkowa backends requires a non-free plugin
> that may or, more likely, may not work on FreeBSD.  IIRC, the plugin is
> built assuming GNU/Linux and links dynamically against glibc libraries.

Ah, yes best avoided !

> The epson2 backend lists it as unsupported.
>
> So, that leaves you with the plustek backend as your most likely
> supporting backend.
>
> # I've Cc:d it's maintainer just in case.
>
> > I wasn't sure how to specify driver,
> > Couldn't select driver from interactive xsane, nor from
> > /usr/local/etc/sane.d/saned.conf (net inter host stuff), so I tried:
> >
> > xscanimage plustek:/dev/ugen1.5 # fails to open
> > xscanimage plustek:/dev/usb/1.5.0 # fails to open
> > setenv SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE "plustek:/dev/ugen1.5" ; xsane	# striped
> > setenv SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE "epson2:/dev/ugen1.5" ; xsane	# striped
> > setenv SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE "epkowa:/dev/ugen1.5" ; xsane	# striped
> >
> > I've done mv ~/.[a-zA-Z]* X/ ; cd X
> > mv .[xX]* ~/	# for xauth
> > # so its nothing in old inherited .sane/ or similar dor file
> >
> > Have I missed something ? Or is my scanner defective ?
> >
> > PS various notes from my
> > http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src/jhs/etc/devd/berklix.conf
> >   sane-find-scanner -q
> >     [...]
> >     found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011d \
> >                         [EPSON Scanner], chip=LM9832/3) at libusb:001:005
> >   scanimage -L
> >     device `plustek:libusb:001:005' is a Epson Perfection 1260/Photo \
> > 	 flatbed scanner
> >   I Added to /usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf:
> >     usb 0x04b8 0x011d
> >     device libusb:001:005
>
> IIUC, you should not have to modify the plustek.conf file at all.  Using
> something like you do above (note that it should be `[usb]`)

Thanks I added []

> will likely
> stop working as soon as you re-plug or power-cycle the device.  On Linux
> I'm sure it does, don't know for FreeBSD.

Yes, it was short term desperation to try to point to a known device
but my USB numbers were changing here too, presumambly as I added
or removed other USB devices. I'll comment it out. But keep the [] :-)

> Maybe the log file from
>   SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=127 scanimage [your-options-here] > out.pnm 2> log
> can shed some light on your problem?  Please use [your-options-here] to
> set a small scan area so we don't get inundated with a multi-MB log file
> here on the list ;-)
> Hope this helps,

Yes, Thanks ! I scanned a half centimetre wide strip which shows the error,
	SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=127 scanimage -x200 -y 5  > out.pnm 2> log
out.pnm is 10K, The log is 170K so for any on a slow net I copied it
& gzip'ed it to 10K, all here
http://berklix.eu/~jhs/tmp/epson_perfection_1260/scanimage/1-small/files
	  3930	Darkcal0.dat
	  3930	Darkcal1.dat
	  3930	Darkcal2.dat
	  4716	Whitecal0.dat
	  4716	Whitecal1.dat
	  4716	Whitecal2.dat
	 61219	coarse-gain-0.raw
	 15318	coarse-off-0.raw
	 15318	coarse-off-1.raw
	 15318	coarse-off-2.raw
	 15318	coarse-off-3.raw
	 15318	coarse-off-4.raw
	  4733	fine-black.raw
	301968	fine-white.raw
	167583	log
	 10516	log_copied.gz
	 10644	out.pnm
	 68453	plustek-pic.raw

I hope the log is useful to someone ?
I'm reading it with eyes of a newbie, but I see lot of
	[plustek] usbDev_ScanEnd(), start=1, park=0
	[plustek] We're little-endian!  NatSemi LM983x is big!
	[plustek] --> Must swap data!
line 127:
/usr/ports/graphics/sane-backends/work/sane-backends-1.0.25/backend/
  plustek-usbhw.c:    DBG( _DBG_READ, "--> Must swap data!\n" );

I dont know the code, if one could debug if swapping is happening OK ?

Is it concidence the white paper shows yellow then red exactly halfway
across the page.

Re my CPU: My laptop has an Intel sticker since new.
uname -a
	FreeBSD lapr.js.berklix.net 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT
	#13120: Tue Aug  8 20:08:04 CEST 2017
	jhs at lapr.js.berklix.net:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/LAPR.small amd64

dmesg:
  {
  CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330  @ 2.13GHz (2128.43-MHz K8-class CPU)
    Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x20652  Family=0x6  Model=0x25  Stepping=2
    Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
    Features2=0x98e3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT>
    AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
    AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
    VT-x: Basic Features=0xda0400<SMM,INS/OUTS,TRUE>
          Pin-Based Controls=0x7f<ExtINT,NMI,VNMI,PreTmr>
          Primary Processor Controls=0xfff9fffe<INTWIN,TSCOff,HLT,INVLPG,MWAIT,RDPMC,RDTSC,CR3-LD,CR3-ST,CR8-LD,CR8-ST,TPR,NMIWIN,MOV-DR,IO,IOmap,MTF,MSRmap,MONITOR,PAUSE>
          Secondary Processor Controls=0xff<APIC,EPT,DT,RDTSCP,x2APIC,VPID,WBINVD,UG>
          Exit Controls=0xda0400<PAT-LD,EFER-SV,PTMR-SV>
          Entry Controls=0xda0400
          EPT Features=0x6114141<XO,PW4,UC,WB,2M,INVEPT,single,all>
          VPID Features=0xf01<INVVPID,individual,single,all,single-globals>
  }

BTW but probably irrelevant: scanner takes ages to start, I see the
default conf file has option warmup -1 = auto, I guess that's just
manufacturer being cautious.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey, Computer Consultant, BSD Linux Unix Systems Engineer, Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.