[sane-devel] Getting Alpine Linux sane-backends builds compiler warning free

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Jul 22 12:52:49 UTC 2017

Hi Valery,

I'm one of the SANE developers and am trying to get rid of all compiler
warnings on a select subset of build environments.  Alpine Linux is one
of them and its parallel port IO support is giving me a bit of trouble.
Hope you can help me out a bit.

I don't see any libieee1284 packages for 3.6.  Is there any activity to
add libieee1284?  It would enable support for a few more backends.

A few backends also provide parallel port IO support if certain Linux
kernel headers are present.  Looking at the `makedepends` list in the
sane package's APKBUILD file, I don't see kernel-headers listed.  Can
I assume that the Alpine package build environment makes sure that is
present?  If not, you may want to add it.  It would make at least the
umax_pp backend do something more useful.  Without that package, it
compiles but essentially just no-ops just about all the I/O after
spitting out a warning, IIUC.

My builds have so far not included the kernel-headers package in the
list of packages to be installed but I'm leaning towards adding it.  It
would solve a major compiler warning headache for me ;-)

If Alpine Linux' default build environment always includes it, I feel
more justified to "take the easy way out".

You can find my build environment setup[1] as well as build logs[2] (the
middle stage, first on the drop-down list) over at GitLab.com.

 [1]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/ci-envs/blob/master/alpine-3.6-musl.df
 [2]: https://gitlab.com/sane-project/backends/pipelines

Somewhat off-topic, but ...

I also see that you list the license as GPL in the APKBUILD file.  Is
that for that file only or does that apply to the binary packages?
If the latter, it's not correct and really should be fixed.

BTW, love the fact that you provide a package per backend!  Wishing
other distributions would do the same.

Thanks for any feedback in advance,