[sane-devel] sane-backend 1.0.27 USB broken on Mac with Homebrew

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Mon Jul 24 12:09:56 UTC 2017

Hi Thomas,

schmo-fu writes:

> Since i "brew upgrade"d since my last use of the scanner, i switched
> back to 1.0.25_1 and this fixed the problem.
> Reinstalling 1.0.27 with --build-from-source reproduced the problem.
> The strange thing is, that the sane-backends.rb-file (the homebrew
> automatic installation instruction) clearly states
> "--enable-libusb" in both versions. But config-warnings for 1.0.27 say
> "unrecognized options: --enable-libusb" which is in accordance with the
> NEWS note 2, that libusb is now the default, but something seems to be
> broken here.

I *was* gonna slap you over the head with that note ;-) but seeing that
you noticed, I guess there is another problem.

> I changed the formula so that it states "--with-usb" but that didn't
> help. (No warning anymore, but still no USB)

If you use --with-usb, the configure step is supposed to bomb if it
cannot enable USB support.  I've trudged through the configure script
and it seems I may have made an overly optimistic mistake on that end
(although I don't think so).

Try --with-usb=yes.  That really *should* bomb.

Why it bombs or not is another matter altogether.

> The last 1.0.25-homebrew-commit contained a patch (concerning some
> missing headers) that later commits are missing. (What this patch did
> exactly and whether this is related to the usb-problem is beyond me.)
> Finally i can say that homebrew-commit
> 7aaf1e3a14b75a715eed34f3bb4c57e79f417e96 works, while the next commit
> 60b1305361d0ef61405014b37164b1daaf77d207 doesn't.
> I hope all of this makes sense to you and someone has time to look
> into this problem.

It'd make more sense if you can tell me where these homebrew-commits can
be found.
# I've been on GNU+Linux and just about nothing else for two decades ;-)

> Greetings from germany,
> Thomas.S
> (aka schmo-fu)
> PS: I made some brew gist-logs for you, maybe they help.
> 1.0.27 latest commit:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/df5ad14abeca4ad0348d39693c92747a
> 1.0.27 manually changed --enable-usb to --with-usb:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5960a98614bed2b89a85fd726eddcece
> 1.0.25 last working commit:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/c47dd22ff09318c0151cc5771173f97b

>From the config.log I see that there's probably a libusb-compat
installed somewhere.  I'd suggest to get rid of that (as far as SANE is
concerned) because libusb-1.x should be okay.

>From that same file, I also gather there should be libusb*.pc files (or
similar) in




Curious about what those have to say about libusb because, AFAIU, the
configure script should be looking at those before it decides there's
no USB support.

Hope this helps, at least somewhat,
Olaf Meeuwissen, LPIC-2            FSF Associate Member since 2004-01-27
 GnuPG key: F84A2DD9/B3C0 2F47 EA19 64F4 9F13  F43E B8A4 A88A F84A 2DD9
 Support Free Software                        https://my.fsf.org/donate
 Join the Free Software Foundation              https://my.fsf.org/join

More information about the sane-devel mailing list