[sane-devel] sane-backend 1.0.27 USB broken on Mac with Homebrew

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Sat Jul 29 08:06:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

Yurii Kolesnykov writes:

> Hi, Olaf, Thomas!
>
> Having another round through the info in the various links you and Yurii
>> provided I noticed
>>
>>   checking for pkg-config... no
>>
>> Is homebrew using pkgconfig instead?  If so, I'd suggest adding
>> something like
>>
>>   system "ln", "-s", "pkg-config", "/usr/bin/pkgconfig"
>>
> No need to do this, in brew this may be addressed by adding `depends_on
> "pkg-config"`

That should work as well and probably even better.  I'm not up-to-date
on the (in)compatibility of pkg-config and pkgconfig.

> *before* running configure to sane-backends.rb.  Adjust /usr/bin as
>> necessary.  While at it, also drop the
>>
>>   depends_on "libusb-compat"
>>
>> or replace it with something like
>>
>>   depends_on "libusb-1.0"
>>
>> at least, do yourself a favour and build against libusb-1.0.
>>
> Thomas, please try putting just `libusb` here, we have such formula:
> https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/libusb.rb
>
> This formula Olaf?

I know *nothing* about how homebrew works, but that formula seems to use
libusb-1.0.21 so that should be fine.

With those two changes to the homebrew formula for sane-backends you
should be all set to build with USB support.

Hope this helps,