[sane-devel] Canon PIXMA TS8050 compatibility - PIXMA TS8000 Series

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Fri Jun 16 15:41:40 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-06-15 at 11:28 +0200, Johannes S. wrote:
> Hi there,
> I just got my new TS8050 and tried to configure SANE to scan from the
> TS8050 over the network (the same way worked for my old PIXMA
> MX925).The Scanner is listed as "Testers needed" on the SANE website,
> so here's my experience report:
>
> The scanner has a static IP set to 192.168.1.3, my sane configuration
> contains the following entry:
>
> > bjnp://192.168.1.3
>
> When I run `scanimage -L` I get the following error message:
>
> > [bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 1000)
> > [bjnp] bjnp_init_device_structure: Cannot read mac address,
> > skipping this scanner
> > [bjnp] udp_command: ERROR - no data received (timeout = 1000)
> > [bjnp] add_scanner: ERROR - Cannot read scanner make & model:
> > bjnp://192.168.1.3:8612/timeout=1000
> > device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname Integrated Camera virtual
> > device
>
> When I try and scan the device with nmap I get the following report:
>
> > ~ sudo nmap -sU 192.168.1.3/32
> > Starting Nmap 7.50 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2017-06-15 11:25 CEST
> > Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.3
> > Host is up (0.036s latency).
> > Not shown: 993 closed ports
> > PORT     STATE         SERVICE
> > 68/udp   open|filtered dhcpc
> > 161/udp  open          snmp
> > 500/udp  open|filtered isakmp
> > 1900/udp open|filtered upnp
> > 1901/udp open|filtered fjicl-tep-a
> > 5353/udp open          zeroconf
> > 5355/udp open|filtered llmnr
> > MAC Address: 84:BA:3B:83:58:44 (Canon)
> > Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 3.48 seconds
>
> Looks to me like the bjnp protocol is not supported by this model? Is
> there any other test I can run to help?
>
> Best regards,
> Johannes
Hi Johannes,
First try to scan using a USB connection, does that work? It is
essential that the scanner works over USB.

And second, try WITHOUT mentioning the scanner in pxima.conf:
export set SANE_DEBUG_BJNP=4
scanimage -L 2>log

and check if you get any response from the scanner in the log file.

And by the way: did you open the firewall (see man sane-pixma)
So far most Canons do support bjnp, but I learned of one type (forgot
which one) that does not support it.
If there is a bjnp response and the device works on USB, we can discuss
how to debug the issue.

best regards, Louis