[sane-devel] Version numbering (was Re: Fix PPA build)

Rolf Bensch rolf at bensch-online.de
Sat May 13 09:12:53 UTC 2017

Hi All,

After reactivating my Ubuntu ppa it uses for the recent version
1.0.26~ppa[date].

OK, this breaks the old version from last July (1.0.26+git[date]), but I
communicated 2 instructions how the users can jump onto the new versions.

Don't worry about the Ubuntu distribution versions. They're still using
1.0.25+git20150528.

Using 'git describe' is an good idea. But please don't forget that we
must be able to compile the tarballs provided from sane's website and
alioth *without* installed git packages or with the correct version.

A header file (e.g. git-describe.h) could be a solution, which holds the
git version and has been created before creating the tarballs. If we're
compiling against a git repository, this file can be rewritten from
'make' and must be excluded from the git repository.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rolf