[sane-devel] Scanbd, Sane and Samsung SCX-3200

Wilhelm Meier wilhelm.wm.meier at googlemail.com
Fri May 26 12:39:53 UTC 2017

Hi Janne,

Am 26.05.2017 um 14:03 schrieb Janne Paalijarvi:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing support for scan button for my Samsung SCX-3200 series.
> In fact, I actually already wrote some code at:
>
> https://github.com/usvi/random/tree/master/c/scanbuttond/samsung
>
> Funnily, I have had not time before these few days to actually try to
> set everything to work for testing.
>
> Now, when I installed scanbd for my test Ubuntu from Ubuntu
> repositories, I realized that it uses extensively Sane backends. So, my
> question is: Should I actually try to write a backend extension for the
> Sane backend I am using (xerox_mfp)? Is it the way of the future that
> Scanbd actually polls/queries devices via Sane?

I wrote scanbd in order to use the sane-backend, because at the time of
starting with scanbd, scanbuttond seems quite dead. I incorporated
scanbuttond-backends "as-is" to support scanners that didn't had
querying support in sane-backends.

So - in short - up to my view it would be best to make the snae-backend
for your scanner working ...

HTH,
 Wilhelm