[sane-devel] Saned Tutorial is not correct -

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Thu Nov 9 11:53:28 UTC 2017

Hi Alvaro,

Simon Matter writes:
(that you wrote)
>> The mistake is also in the man pages:
>>
>> using Ubuntu 16.04:  man saned
>>
>> excerpt start:
>>
>> SYSTEMD CONFIGURATION
>>        for systemd we need to add 2 configuation files in
>> /etc/systemd/system.   <------------------------------------ This should
>> be
>> /etc/systemd
>
> I'm not sure but at least on RHEL7 /etc/systemd/system seems correct. Can
> it be that Ubuntu 16.04 uses an older systemd and therefore the manpage
> should be changed? If yes, then this has to be done in the Ubuntu packages
> of SANE.

Please take a look at the Directories section of the systemd manual page[1]
and the systemd.unit manual page[2] for Ubuntu 16.04LTS.

 [1]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/systemd.1.html#contenttoc5
 [2]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man5/systemd.unit.5.html

Based on my understanding of the documentation there, I would say that
Ubuntu's(?) saned manual page[3] (which is not modified from the one
that the SANE project ships in this respect) refers to the correct
directory locations.  If that in some way does not work, it's first and
foremost an issue with the Ubuntu tutorial[4] and Ubuntu's systemd
and/or SANE packages.

 [3]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man8/saned.8.html
 [4]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial

You may also want to take a look of the files provided by Ubuntu's
sane-utils package[5] and note that these files should be installed for
you by the package, completely obviating the need for you to configure
anything.

 [5]: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/sane-utils/filelist

Hope this helps,