[sane-devel] Saned Tutorial is not correct -

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Thu Nov 9 21:35:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-11-09 at 20:53 +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
>
> Simon Matter writes:
> (that you wrote)
> > > The mistake is also in the man pages:
> > >
> > > using Ubuntu 16.04:  man saned
> > >
> > > excerpt start:
> > >
> > > SYSTEMD CONFIGURATION
> > >        for systemd we need to add 2 configuation files in
> > > /etc/systemd/system.   <------------------------------------ This
> > > should
> > > be
> > > /etc/systemd
> >
> > I'm not sure but at least on RHEL7 /etc/systemd/system seems
> > correct. Can
> > it be that Ubuntu 16.04 uses an older systemd and therefore the
> > manpage
> > should be changed? If yes, then this has to be done in the Ubuntu
> > packages
> > of SANE.
>
> Please take a look at the Directories section of the systemd manual
> page[1]
> and the systemd.unit manual page[2] for Ubuntu 16.04LTS.
>
>  [1]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/systemd.1.ht
> ml#contenttoc5
>  [2]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man5/systemd.unit
> .5.html
>
> Based on my understanding of the documentation there, I would say
> that
> Ubuntu's(?) saned manual page[3] (which is not modified from the one
> that the SANE project ships in this respect) refers to the correct
> directory locations.  If that in some way does not work, it's first
> and
> foremost an issue with the Ubuntu tutorial[4] and Ubuntu's systemd
> and/or SANE packages.
>
>  [3]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man8/saned.8.html
>  [4]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial
>
> You may also want to take a look of the files provided by Ubuntu's
> sane-utils package[5] and note that these files should be installed
> for
> you by the package, completely obviating the need for you to
> configure
> anything.
>
>  [5]: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/sane-utils/filelist

The locations mentioned in the man-page are definitely correct for
Fedora and RHEL,  the only systems using systemd at the time I wrote
the systemd parts of the man-page (in 2013). For these distros they are
still correct.
Now Ubuntu may have changed some of the paths when it introduced
systemd. It may also be the case that Ubuntu does use an old version of
systemd that does not yet support the user specific units (in
/etc/systemd/user). Can somebody please confirm if other Ubuntu
versions (probably later versions) do use /etc/systemd/system?
If I can find some time I may try to clarify the man-page with the
alternate location if we can get more clarity on this.
BR, Louis