[sane-devel] Saned Tutorial is not correct -

Olaf Meeuwissen paddy-hack at member.fsf.org
Fri Nov 10 12:46:55 UTC 2017

Hi Louis,

Louis Lagendijk writes:

> On Thu, 2017-11-09 at 20:53 +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>> Hi Alvaro,
>>
>> Simon Matter writes:
>> (that you wrote)

>> > I'm not sure but at least on RHEL7 /etc/systemd/system seems
>> > correct. Can
>> > it be that Ubuntu 16.04 uses an older systemd and therefore the
>> > manpage
>> > should be changed? If yes, then this has to be done in the Ubuntu
>> > packages
>> > of SANE.
>>
>> Please take a look at the Directories section of the systemd manual
>> page[1]
>> and the systemd.unit manual page[2] for Ubuntu 16.04LTS.
>>
>>  [1]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man1/systemd.1.ht
>> ml#contenttoc5
>>  [2]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man5/systemd.unit
>> .5.html
>>
>> Based on my understanding of the documentation there, I would say
>> that
>> Ubuntu's(?) saned manual page[3] (which is not modified from the one
>> that the SANE project ships in this respect) refers to the correct
>> directory locations.  If that in some way does not work, it's first
>> and
>> foremost an issue with the Ubuntu tutorial[4] and Ubuntu's systemd
>> and/or SANE packages.
>>
>>  [3]: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/en/man8/saned.8.html
>>  [4]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial
>>
>> You may also want to take a look of the files provided by Ubuntu's
>> sane-utils package[5] and note that these files should be installed
>> for
>> you by the package, completely obviating the need for you to
>> configure
>> anything.
>>
>>  [5]: https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/amd64/sane-utils/filelist
>
> The locations mentioned in the man-page are definitely correct for
> Fedora and RHEL,  the only systems using systemd at the time I wrote
> the systemd parts of the man-page (in 2013). For these distros they are
> still correct.
> Now Ubuntu may have changed some of the paths when it introduced
> systemd. It may also be the case that Ubuntu does use an old version of
> systemd that does not yet support the user specific units (in
> /etc/systemd/user).

Old systemd version is unlikely for Ubuntu 16.04LTS (from 2016).  If
they willy-nilly change paths, the onus is on them to keep the docs in
sync, IMNSHO.

> Can somebody please confirm if other Ubuntu
> versions (probably later versions) do use /etc/systemd/system?

My Devuan Jessie system doesn't *have* systemd(!), but sports an
/etc/systemd/system/ directory.  Ditto for Devuan's next version.

But everyone should look at what's already in /lib/systemd/system/
instead.  The Debian/Devuan packages put the necessary files there
already.  You should not even need to do anything if you installed
the distribution's binary packages.

On Jessie, I get

  $ dpkg -S lib/systemd/system/saned
  sane-utils: /lib/systemd/system/saned.service
  sane-utils: /lib/systemd/system/saned at .service
  sane-utils: /lib/systemd/system/saned.socket

> If I can find some time I may try to clarify the man-page with the
> alternate location if we can get more clarity on this.

If the distribution packages don't do the right thing file a bug report
with the distribution.  If one builds from source, /etc/systemd/system/
is the right place, according to the systemd documentation.

If the systemd documentation is wrong, bug the systemd cabal ;-)

Hope this helps,