[sane-devel] Canon MF4470N ADF

littlesincanada littlesincanada at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 22:40:04 UTC 2017

Hi,
OK, I had been experimenting with my scanner's problematic ADF scanning
over ethernet and after advice since I have most experience diagnosing
network traffic.
After taking advice, and probably simplifying the traffic somewhat, I
have moved to USB to find that.... it actually works.

What the flip?

It has never worked for me in the past and still does not over the local
LAN but using gscan2pdf and scanimage via USB, batch ADF scanning seems
to work perfectly for this scanner now. If I try ADF scanning with
xsane, the printer gets itself in a snit with the "system error" message
and I have to power cycle it.

I'm not really sure what has changed and I'm using Rolf's PPA on my
separate day-to-day machine so the sane on that machine is bang up-to-date.

I do have a couple of observations on the LAN side:

1) SANE seems to restart a new TCP connection for each page whereas the
Windows driver doesn't. I don't know if that is confusing the printer or
not.

2) The Windows XP driver actually uses read_image rather than
read_image2 to request scan data even though this is supposed to be a
"generation 2" unit.
The scanner does respond to read_image2 so I guess that either are OK.

I will look further into things. For now at least, I do have a working
configuration in Linux.

I wonder how many people out there having problems are using the LAN
option rather than USB.
These multifunction printers are suitable for small office use (mine has
a fax) so I would guess that many are connected via Ethernet or WiFi.

Cheers,
Ralph